October 2, 2012
Mr. Mark A. Elgart, Ed.D
2520 Northwinds Parkway Suite 600
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Dear Dr. Elgart,
The NAACP DeKalb County Branch is a community organization, which is deeply concerned about all issues affecting the citizens of DeKalb. Public education in DeKalb is of utmost importance to the NAACP; and with the upcoming investigation of the DeKalb School System by SACS, this is to request your reply to the following concerns the NAACP has about the investigation.
1. According to the local news media, SACS has received about 50 complaints regarding the DeKalb School System. If so, are these complaints in writing and signed by the complainant (s)?
2. Did the complainant (s) provide credible evidence of impropriety by the DeKalb School Board?
3. Did the complainant (s) bring their concerns to the DeKalb School Board for resolution before contacting SACS?
4. Did SACS provide a copy of the complaints to the DeKalb Schools Superintendent and School Board prior to announcing its intent to launch an investigation?
5. If SACS will be looking into the finances of the school system, when will the results of the forensic audit that was ordered by the School Board and paid for by the taxpayers be released?
6. How will the group to interview with SACS be selected, and how can one get on that committee?
The DeKalb NAACP is concerned that SACS may be selectively targeting the majority Black School Boards, i.e. Clayton County, the City of Atlanta, and DeKalb County, for investigations of unfounded allegations while turning a blind eye to similar allegations of majority white school boards, such as Cobb, Fulton, Gwinnett and Rockdale counties.
I thank you for giving these concerns your utmost attention and for a timely reply. Please send the DeKalb NAACP copies of correspondence in the currents SACS investigation.
Should you have any questions, please call me at (404) 241-8006 or (404) 213-8510.
Serving DeKalb County,
NAACP DeKalb County Branch #5192
John Evans, President
3011 Rainbow Drive, Suite 180A
Decatur, Georgia 30034
Telephone 404 241-8006
Fax 404 751-2743